Thursday, May 24, 2012

Rafi, Wren, and a little peek of my studio

Driftwood Bundle, hung in my studio
Rafi, the Honey Bear
Wren the Wandering Llama 

Since moving into our new home I've been decorating and adding new furniture to my studio space, making it my own. This is the first time I've had a place specifically for painting and working...so I'm a little giddy about it! I've met so many talented and sweet people through Etsy and a lot of my decor is from their shops. It's really nice to have special pieces around me when I work; they seem to encourage and inspire my work day (or night, rather). I finally got a couple flat files I've been needing, and a new desk that I've had my eye on for some time. It's a bit larger which I need since I like to have two palettes out when I paint, plus I usually work on several paintings at a time. 
I framed and hung one of my large prints, Driftwood Bundle. Almost everything is in place, all that is left to do is stain and seal the wood of my new desk and then it's complete! 
I'll post photos when I'm done.

Also, I finished a couple more of my illustrations last night. Wren sold this afternoon, and will be wandering over to France - but I did add archival prints of her to my shop.

I was inspired to paint Rafi the Honey Bear after a swarm of worker bees gathered in the chimney for a few days. I'm so happy they decided to move on. We called a local bee keeper, but by the time he made it here there were only a few left, and some that hummed around our house. One thing I love about this area is how kind people are. Since meeting him he's dropped by bearing gifts of fresh honey comb, lessons about bees, and even loaned my husband a book about the health benefits of honey. It's clear he loves his work. He showed us a piece of a hive he had saved which had a queen bee. I wish I snapped a picture...

xo marisa

1 comment:

Karla said...

Absolutely fascinating! Love the harmony of the decor :)